Thursday, September 07, 2006

This is me in the last homestay, in the slum community of Mitrapap. Tomorrow morning, we are leaving for another trip into the rice fields. We will be putting together 13 different community exhanges with the villagers, the coordinators of an organic market, the governor of Surin province... We will also be doing a little work of our own in the rice fields. And if there is anywhere one could ride an elephant and/or a buffalo, it sounds like this will be the place!!! This is our "Food" unit, and the next will be "water," for which I will facilitate a lot of the discussions and workshops.

This new internship of mine is moving very quickly, and it has me excited. I had another meeting tonight, with one of the association's key advisors. He is the leader of the network of NGOs in the Northeast, NGO-CORD. The Thai Seeka Association's mission is "to provide and promote a participatory, community inspired, action-oriented education model for Thai people to share knowledge and solve pressing problems." I feel like if I decide to do environmental education in the Peace Corps, this experience will be really valuable for me.

Thanks to everyone who has sent me an email or a phone call--and particularly for Bryn or Paul, if you are reading this, come visit me!!!!! The staff here are willing and able to help you both, and I would love to show you around Khon Kaen!

I'll be away for a while, but if you are reading this, please send me a note to let me know how you are doing!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home